Wednesday 23 May 2012

Flood from Greece

Bless dear Asy! If it weren't for her, I would never discover all that's going on in school in picturesque detail. Yesterday she rang me and related to me everything.

I was wrong to speculate that Stfn has left already; she hasn't and is very much coming to school in her usual 'Don't ask me to move my butts' style. All my parents have been asking Asy about what has happened to me and when will I come back. They all show plenty of concern and sympathy for me.
The new German teacher from Greece who has joined just two/three days back and is supposed to replace Stfn in my group, is so far hopeless according to Asy's observations. To begin with the very beginning, she does not know German! She had problems understanding and replying to simple German questions asked by Asy. She doesn't know what to do with the children and keeps static and dumb most of time; coupled with Stfn who gets permanently glued to where ever she happens to sit once, poor Asy is having a hard time in the group having to run on her toes all the time.
Poor Jr has also been promoted to Mks' group. He kept weeping and whimpering the whole day frightened to his core by Mks's hundred screamings at him for crying. Mr, the manager was also angry with him for crying without trying to understand a sensitive three year old's subtle mind and emotions.
The rest of the school is doing far worse.

There's an alarming flood of Greek teachers in school - soon to transform into a devastating tsunami. Stf, the genius of this century, has discovered a Greek agency which provides teachers to her on cheap wages. Result? Cheap service and zero outcome.  Most of them landed in the school straight from the airport along with their suitcases. Stf just imports them into Germany like slave cargo, puts them up in cheap student hostel type lodgings and complacently enjoys their grateful services. As described by the girls themselves ( and Stf too, to tell the whole world how benevolent she is) their lodgings are no bigger than a shoe box and have one shower/toilet amongst twenty fellow lodgers! This Mr, our new manager was moved to a room that was so dirty and lacking in comfort that Stf herself brought her personal cleaner to clean the room and provided cushions and blankets to her just to let her believe that she was indeed a human and not an unfortunate chicken in a one square inch pen. I am sure Stf pays them less than 500 or 600 per month with free lodgings. Hence the poor girls, far from complaining, actually feel grateful and indebted to her for being so kind and generous. In the circumstances, they are likely never to run away from this school and in all probability must live under the constant danger of getting sent back to their country on slightest displeasure from the boss.

There was an English teacher in the school, from Africa, who was appointed here in February and was working in the baby group with Ndn and Mchl. I am told, she is being fired without notice to make way for a cheap one from Greece. My own replacement, without doubt, will also be a cheap Greek...

With this sort of economy and austerity measures what can one expect as results? None of these Greek imports can speak the decent minimum proper German or English which is required in a school as very instructors of these languages. Asy reported to me that the school has commenced looking like a native Greek establishment instead of a German English Kindergarten with six of them talking to each other in Greek and struggling in German/English with the students and parents! The manager keeps yelling at every teacher in the school and gets a heart attack if a parent on phone cannot speak or understand German; she keeps begging them to speak in German or dashes from classroom to classroom in search for someone who knows English...

I could puke with disgust at this state of affairs in my beloved school....Not that I am against Greece or Greeks or some such stuff. I am sure they are good teachers and hold excellent academic degrees and all. But surely, isn't there a world of difference between appointing selected teacher personnel on account of their education, expertise and required qualification/ experience, and, stuffing teachers like cotton in a pillow regardless whether their capabilities match the requirements of the institution or not?

I wonder how the parents digest this, if they digest it at all. As a parent I would never want to send my child to a school where he won't be able to learn even native German in Germany. As a teacher of this school, I suddenly do not want to go there again. I love my school and I find it deplorable how Stf is ruining the pounds to save her pennies. I wish this school shuts up now. I had been whining over my proposed relocation but I am suddenly very happy about it. I am glad I would soon cease to be part of this sickening situation.

I am glad I am leaving...

No comments:

Post a Comment