Wednesday 22 June 2011

An is fired..!!! Adn too..!!!

Today when I and Mks were in the gym area with the sleeping children, suddenly Tk entered the hall. Walking on tip-toes so as not to make any noise to disturb the children's sleep and with the usual gentlemanly smile on his face he made straight into the blue room which is the baby group. An and Adn both were on the coach with a sleeping baby in their arms. I saw him speaking candidly to An. I had little idea what was being talked about.

"Hello An, how are you?" He asked pleasantly.
"I am fine. Thanks."
"You are fired.This is your notice paper. You are to be here only till the end of June. Can you please sign this just now?"

God!! Such a big blow and in such a casual manner without any warning, any preparation?

Adn, who sat just inches away from An received her firing notice in similar manner - candidly and directly like shot from a canon gun.
They didn't even know how to react at this...

When the news spread like wild fire though still entirely in hushed whispers everyone froze with shock. An was the last person expected to get fired. She was so sweet, soft spoken, never speaking up for her needs or desires, never courting controversies, never daring to do anything even in dreams that could annoy the management, doing loads of overtime and never asking to be paid for it. And then she was a native English teacher more than two years old in this school. How could the school fire her when right now there is a dearth of native English teachers in school?

It is still not known why she has been fired. A broad guess is it has something to do with her child care degree or diploma not translated in German.                                        


It was time for my going home so I was just collecting my things up. I looked for An but she had already left. I did get to exchange a few words with Mks and Nd who were still shell shocked just like me. I couldn't help noticing the fact that Mz, mysteriously looked and even sounded extra extra happy and cheerful, laughing guffaws at nothings and  sporting all  60 teeth.

I feel so very sad for An. Neither her firing appears to be justified nor the manner in which it was executed. Being an old teacher in the school surely she deserved a certain degree of respect, sympathy and discretion.

No comments:

Post a Comment