Tuesday 3 April 2012

The second day of chaos

Today I went in early, anticipating a continuation of yesterday's chaos. We all were hoping that today the student turn out would be nearly half less or even lesser, considering yesterday's plight but amazingly it turned out to be even more than that of yesterday as if the parents were being cheeky and wanted to see for them selves how and what we do now! But we were more mentally prepared today.
I saw Mtn. He asked me about the situation and I hinted that it was again like yesterday but we were more prepared today and that from tomorrow the situation will begin to improve. A parent whose girl I had taught two sessions ago, talked to me expressing his disgust for the management which can't resolve simple issues like this and his admiration and praise for me and the other teachers who always do their job so well which is why he continues to keep his daughter in this kindergarten. The same old story and so similar for everyone....!

Stfn looked at the crowd of children in deep chagrin. She hadn't stopped persuading all the parents to take their children back if they could. One child of my class Athn arrived with her grandmother and was forcibly coaxed to go back; the grandmother first pleaded with Stfn to let her stay as she had a problem with her car and taking her back was difficult. But Stfn was adamant. The grandmother became so angry! She took her back of course but with bad feelings. I felt so bad when I heard about this incident through Asy later.

Before Stfn could entertain the idea of doing something hokus pokus like taking them to the gym for morning circle, I gathered all the children, about thirty three, and started doing morning circle. Everyone became quiet and disciplined and the morning circle went by very fine indeed. We had to take them to toilet. I wanted to take them all together; we could finish the small children first and let the other bigger children go in the second toilet by themselves. But Stfn said, "No. It will be too much. We must only take them group by group and not all together."
I almost lost my temper...!

The rest of the day was just like yesterday: playing free everywhere in our room and the hall and letting them do nothing while the teachers kept watch over them. Ndn and I completed the Easter baskets and after that I took some bigger children to the gym to play games with them. Even this Stfn was't allowing me to do. She  said she wanted all the kids to be together so that we do not have to worry if someone is missing.

Asy and I talked together again, in the sleeping room when the children were asleep. I told her I strongly felt that Stfn's decision to send the children back was not right and this error could get her into trouble. As teachers we should be able to handle this rather than telling them to go back which sounds so humiliating and shameful.

 Mch agreed with me and seemed pretty disturbed that she might get in hot water for this. She keeps reminding everyone: "I didn't do anything. It was not my decision."

I had begun to feel really worried about Stfn now. I went and talked to her: She on the contrary seemed least bothered.
"No. I won't fall in any trouble. It is Stf's fault. She fired both Mz and My and didn't even tell the rest of the staff what they were supposed to do and herself is now on a holiday and unreachable through phone or mail. Now we are without sufficient teachers, no manager, no instructions on how to deal with this and plus have to face all the parents' resentment for My and Mz's sudden dismissal and answer all their uncomfortable questions."
I, however, am less confident. In fact I am sure the next trouble we are going to have is to face Stf's wrath.
I still think, Stfn overreacted on the situation and took extreme step which resulted in further trouble. Her response to parents,"Oh, there is teacher shortage today, can you please take your child back home?" just pressed the panic button in the entire parents' community which was just not needed. I mean, if she had managed to keep silent until all the teachers had arrived and then discussed the situation among us, we might have been able to handle 70/80 children without much trouble and the parents would also not have felt weird and panicky.

Ll's mother came to pick her up and asked courteously how was the day today.
"It was absolutely okay. We did have a lot of children, but we managed and there were no problems at all. We had our combined morning circle, snack and lunch, we played games, sang songs, heard stories and made our Easter baskets-"
"Wow! So the daily activities continued as usual! That's sounds impressive! You people have even been able to do the activity which you planned."
"Err, no. I would have loved to do that but no. We just finished the Easter baskets, that's all. We have to have them ready for Thursday's Easter party, you see."
"You know, yesterday there was such chaos in the school. Everybody was being told to go back and-"
"Yes, I know and I feel so sorry about it. Actually there was a shortage of teacher and as you know, My and Mz were also suddenly not there. The teachers panicked; and what happens when you panic? There are more mistakes and more confusion!"
"Everybody was so confused and angry. But the moment they saw you walking in the school, they calmed down suddenly feeling relieved. They all said,"Oh, she is here. Everything will be okay." You are so calm, stable and confident and you spoke to so many parents telling them to not worry, that they were all relieved and relaxed. We felt so thankful that you were there. I noticed and the others as well, that you were so sure there was no problem and whatever there was you could manage it. We brought our children back confidently. You are really nice!"

I just couldn't believe my ears. Needless to say, I was so happy to hear that. But I still can't believe it. I am sure by "everyone" she only means Ls's mother and/or maybe Ksk's mother...
I cannot even tell this to the others! the will think,"Oh, so do you mean to point out we were fool?"


The parents committee has sent a mail to all the parents, detailing them of the current situation and has suggested to bring back My and Mz at least for a short time to combat this shortage. The committee is also trying to organize their farewell! No! For God's sake...not this, please!
I feel like puking....

No comments:

Post a Comment